How do we receive and rest in God’s righteousness? This question propelled the Reformers forward, confronting Rome’s insistence that justification is something believers must cooperate to receive. Instead, they proclaimed sola fide, or “through faith alone.” In this episode of White Horse Inn, hosts Michael Horton, Justin Holcomb, Bob Hiller, and Walter Strickland discuss the doctrine of justification by faith alone and consider the role of good works in the Christian’s life.
ON THIS EPISODE:
- Michael Horton is White Horse Inn’s founder and co-host. In addition to serving as a J. Gresham Machen Professor of Systematic Theology and Apologetics at Westminster Seminary California, he is a minister in the United Reformed Churches. He is the author of more than 30 books.
- Justin Holcomb is a Senior Fellow with Sola Media’s Theo Global. He also serves as a professor and Episcopal priest. He is the author or editor of more than 20 books.
- Bob Hiller is the Senior Pastor of Community Lutheran Church in Escondido, California. He is also the author of Finding Christ in the Straw.
- Walter Strickland is Assistant Professor of Systematic and Contextual Theology at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary. He has contributed to, edited, and authored multiple books in his areas of research interest, which include the African American theological tradition, education theory, and theology of work.
MENTIONED ON THE SHOW:
- Westminister Confession of Faith, Chapter 11 by Westminister Assembly