The Search for the Historical Joseph
On last week’s episode, John Lennox argued that the story of Joseph is one of the most moving accounts in all the world’s literature. But is this famous narrative just a beautiful rags-to-riches tale, or is there evidence that Joseph was a real historical figure who became prime minister of Egypt during the time of a great famine? Shane Rosenthal discusses this question with Egyptologist David Rohl, author of numerous books including Exodus, Myth or History?
If you open your eyes to the evidence coming out of the ground, you will see that my conviction is based on a mass of detail and cogent argument to corroborate the basic truth of the biblical stories. It has taken me thirty years to come to this point, and I expect there is still more research to do, with a lot of convincing to be done within academia as part of that process…Though I continue to regard myself as an agnostic—that is, as a person still undecided in matters of faith—I am convinced that the stories in the Bible are based on real events and real personalities.Egyptologist, David Rohl
Exodus – Myth or History?
Author: David Rohl
David Rohl’s latest book, reveals the true archaeological history of the biblical stories – the Israelite Sojourn in Egypt beginning with Joseph, the Exodus under the leadership of Moses, and the Conquest of the Promised Land led by Joshua. The site of Israel’s bondage in Goshen is uncovered; the route of the Exodus is explained in great detail; and the walls of Jericho that ‘fell down flat’ are exposed. This book is richly illustrated in full colour, with photos, charts, and maps to help the reader understand and appreciate the evidence that confirms the historical accuracy of the greatest events in the Old Testament narratives.
Patterns of Evidence: The Exodus
What is the validity of history found in the Bible? Is it fact or fiction? What does the hard evidence really have to say about the foundational story of the Old Testament: the Exodus out of Egypt? An in-depth investigation by documentary filmmaker Tim Mahoney searches for answers to these questions amid startling new finds that may change traditional views of history and the Bible.
More from this Series: Gospel in Genesis
- The Gospel in Genesis Listen Now ›
- Failed Bible Heroes Listen Now ›
- Abraham, Sarah & Hagar Listen Now ›
- Grace & Works Contrasted Listen Now ›
- The Sacrifice of Isaac Listen Now ›
- Grace & Election in the Story of Jacob Listen Now ›
- Blessed in the Garments of the Firstborn Listen Now ›
- Stairway to Heaven Listen Now ›
- God’s Grace vs. Human Striving Listen Now ›
- Wrestling with God Listen Now ›
- The Gospel of God’s Weakness Listen Now ›
- John Lennox on the Story of Joseph Listen Now ›
- The Search for the Historical Joseph Listen Now ›
- Coming to Grips with the God of the Old Testament 1 Listen Now ›
- Coming to Grips with the God of the Old Testament 2 Listen Now ›