What does Christianity and liberalism look like 100 years later? How does Machen’s writing apply to us today, and what does that mean for the future of the American church? In this episode of White Horse Inn, hosts Michael Horton, Justin Holcomb, Bob Hiller, and Walter Strickland advocate for a modern reformation, reflecting on what must still be recovered and what it looks like to resist the pull of liberalism today.
ON THIS EPISODE:
- Michael Horton is White Horse Inn’s founder and co-host. In addition to serving as a J. Gresham Machen Professor of Systematic Theology and Apologetics at Westminster Seminary California, he is a minister in the United Reformed Churches. He is the author of more than 30 books.
- Justin Holcomb is a Senior Fellow with Sola Media’s Theo Global. He also serves as a professor and Episcopal priest. He is the author or editor of more than 20 books.
- Bob Hiller is the Senior Pastor of Community Lutheran Church in Escondido, California. He is also the author of Finding Christ in the Straw.
- Walter Strickland is Assistant Professor of Systematic and Contextual Theology at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary. He has contributed to, edited, and authored multiple books in his areas of research interest, which include the African American theological tradition, education theory, and theology of work.
MENTIONED ON THE SHOW:
- Check out this episode of the White Horse Inn, where the hosts discuss and critique the views of liberal theologian John Shelby Spong in his book The Sins of Scripture.
- Crisis in Lutheran Theology, Vol. 1: The Validity & Relevance of Historic Lutheranism vs. Its Contemporary Rivals by John Warwick Montgomery
- Systematic Theology by Louis Berkhof
- The Presbyterian Controversy: Fundamentalists, Modernists, and Moderates (Religion in America) by Bradley J. Longfield
- Defending the Faith: J. Gresham Machen and the Crisis of Conservative Protestantism in Modern America by Darryl G. Hart