Called to Work
Bob Hiller, Justin Holcomb, Michael Horton, Walter Strickland
When we talk about work, it’s easy to jump right to the Fall and consider how work is frustrated by sin. But how does the pre-Fall creation narrative shape our understanding of vocation? And what does that mean for a post-Fall reality? In this episode of White Horse Inn, Michael Horton, Justin Holcomb, and Bob Hiller are joined by special guest Walter Strickland in a new series examining the doctrine of vocation. This episode looks at the goodness inherent to work, what it looks like to image God in our vocations, and how the Sabbath shapes our approach to the work week.
“God intentionally left creation unfinished. He started the process, but then he invites others—his vice regents—into that process. He created everything, then he left it to his image bearers to name the animals. . . It sets us apart as being something other than just an animal. It also makes us not God, but having part of that authority that God has given us as image bearers.”— Walter Strickland
On This Episode:
- Michael Horton is White Horse Inn’s founder and co-host. In addition to serving as a J. Gresham Machen Professor of Systematic Theology and Apologetics at Westminster Seminary California, he is a minister in the United Reformed Churches. He is the author of more than 30 books.
- Justin Holcomb is a Senior Fellow with Sola Media’s Theo Global. He also serves as a professor and Episcopal priest. He is the author or editor of more than 20 books.
- Bob Hiller is the Senior Pastor of Community Lutheran Church in Escondido, California. He is also the author of Finding Christ in the Straw.
- Walter Strickland is Assistant Professor of Systematic and Contextual Theology at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary. He has contributed to, edited, and authored multiple books in his areas of research interest, which include the African American theological tradition, education theory, and theology of work.
What Do You Do For a Living?
by Justin Holcomb (read an excerpt here)
Check Out This Month’s Offers:
Free Download: By the Sweat of Our Brow
Every Waking Hour: An Introduction to Calling and Vocation for Christians
by Walter Strickland and Benjamin Quinn, available for a donation of any amount
by Michael Horton, available for a donation of any amount
More from this Series: Soli Deo Gloria: A Life of Worship
- Called to Work Listen Now ›
- Living Under God’s Pleasure: The Christian Employee Listen Now ›
- Your Labor is Not in Vain Listen Now ›
- The Forgotten Discovery of the Reformation Listen Now ›
- Are You Called to Ministry? Listen Now ›