Peter Leithart and Constantinianism
In this White Horse Inn series, Michael Horton sits down with a broad range of thinkers—including those he disagrees with—to hear in their own words how they understand the relationship of the Christian to politics. This episode features Peter Leithart, who advocates for his view of “Constantinianism,” defending that his position doesn’t “advocate a church being knit into the civic order or argue that civic responsibilities be carried out by the church and clergy.” Instead, he’s “always insisted that the church must maintain its independence from the civil order, and also recognize a distinction between the responsibilities of the clergy and those of civil officials.”
ON THIS EPISODE:
- Michael Horton is White Horse Inn’s founder and co-host. In addition to serving as a J. Gresham Machen Professor of Systematic Theology and Apologetics at Westminster Seminary California, he is a minister in the United Reformed Churches. He is the author of more than 30 books.
- Peter Leithart is an American author, minister, and theologian, who serves as president of Theopolis Institute for Biblical, Liturgical, & Cultural Studies in Birmingham, Alabama. He previously served as Senior Fellow of Theology and Literature as well as Dean of Graduate Studies at New Saint Andrews College.
Check Out This Month’s Offers:
FREE DOWNLOAD: DEFINING THE TWO KINGDOMS
SUBSCRIBE TO MODERN REFORMATION
More from this Series: The Church in the Public Square
- Peter Leithart and Constantinianism Listen Now ›
- Susannah Black Roberts and Christian Post-Liberalism Listen Now ›
- Gary DeMar and American Vision Listen Now ›
- David VanDrunen and Two Kingdoms Listen Now ›