Creation: Miracle and Providence
What happens when our understanding of the Bible’s creation narrative contradicts current scientific theory? In this episode of White Horse Inn, Michael Horton, Justin Holcomb, and Bob Hiller continue their discussion of faith and science by considering God’s two ways of speaking in creation: divine fiat and providence. As they consider the compatibility of various scientific views with the biblical account, they also outline what is essential for Christians to affirm when it comes to creation.
“Nothing exists and nothing grows apart from God’s word. But God sometimes speaks a fiat word that we would call miracle. And then he sometimes speaks a providential word we call providence. In Genesis 1 he speaks both.”— Michael Horton
On This Episode:
- Michael Horton is White Horse Inn’s founder and co-host. In addition to serving as a J. Gresham Machen Professor of Systematic Theology and Apologetics at Westminster Seminary California, he is a minister in the United Reformed Churches. He is the author of more than 30 books.
- Justin Holcomb is a Senior Fellow with Sola Media’s Theo Global. He also serves as a professor and Episcopal priest. He is the author or editor of more than 20 books.
- Bob Hiller is the Senior Pastor of Community Lutheran Church in Escondido, California. He is also the author of Finding Christ in the Straw.
OPC Report of the Committee to Study the Views of Creation
Creation, Evolution, and Christian Laypeople
by Tim Keller (Biologos)
Did Adam and Eve Really Exist? Who They Were and Why You Should Care
by C. John Collins
Check Out This Month’s Offers:
Free Download: What Is Intelligent Design?
By William Dembski
Subscribe to Modern Reformation
To learn more about the relationship between faith and science, check out the Sept/Oct issue: “God’s Two Books”
by Michael Horton, available for a donation of any amount
More from this Series: The Queen of the Sciences
- Is Christianity Opposed to Science? Listen Now ›
- Genesis: Just Another Creation Myth? Listen Now ›
- Creation: Miracle and Providence Listen Now ›
- What Happened to the Queen of the Sciences? Listen Now ›