The famous “Hall of Faith” is found in Hebrews 11, but how did these heroes possess such great faith? And what exactly is faith? How is it related to obedience and endurance and fruitfulness? In this final episode of our White Horse Inn series examining the book of Hebrews, Michael Horton, Justin Holcomb, Bob Hiller, and Nick Brennan look at the last few chapters of the book and its call for perseverance. They consider the role of suffering and discipline in believers’ sanctification and reflect on our role as priests, offering our whole lives to God as a sacrifice of praise.
“These people are characterized by faith. And it’s interesting the way that faith produces all the ways they live. . . . He’s pointing to the kinds of reactions and lives they had and saying the only reason they lived like this is because of the kind of faith they had. It’s not so much just valorizing them, although they are the great and the good of the faith, and it’s not so much how great a faith they had. Rather, the reason they had this kind of faith was because of the kind of promises they had.”Nick Brennan
On This Episode:
- Michael Horton is White Horse Inn’s founder and co-host. In addition to serving as a J. Gresham Machen Professor of Systematic Theology and Apologetics at Westminster Seminary California, he is a minister in the United Reformed Churches. He is the author of more than 30 books.
- Justin Holcomb is a Senior Fellow with Sola Media’s Theo Global. He also serves as a professor and Episcopal priest. He is the author or editor of more than 20 books.
- Bob Hiller is the Senior Pastor of Community Lutheran Church in Escondido, California. He is also the author of Finding Christ in the Straw.
- Nick Brennan is Associate Professor of New Testament at Westminster Seminary California and author of Divine Christology in the Epistle to the Hebrews.
Dig Deeper + Check Out This Month’s Offers:
Free download written by Dennis Johnson
Free physical booklet (international requests will receive a PDF download)
Book by panelist Justin Holcomb
Book by panelist Nick Brennan
A production of Sola Media
More from this Series: The Book of Hebrews: Jesus is Better
- An Introduction to the Book of Hebrews Listen Now ›
- Greater Than Angels Listen Now ›
- Greater Than Moses Listen Now ›
- Christ Our Eternal High Priest Listen Now ›
- Were Jews Expecting a Divine Messiah? Listen Now ›
- A Superior Covenant Listen Now ›
- The Eternal Sacrifice Listen Now ›
- Persevering Faith Listen Now ›
- Jesus is Better Listen Now ›
- Jesus, Our Great High Priest Listen Now ›
- Jesus, Our Hope Listen Now ›
- Faithful Endurance Listen Now ›