The Book of Hebrews contains some of the most difficult passages in Scripture—warnings that cause people to feel fearful and lack assurance. How—in the face of such grave warnings—is Jesus our hope? In this episode of White Horse Inn, Michael Horton, Justin Holcomb, Bob Hiller, and Nick Brennan look closely at two particular warning passages in Hebrews 5–6 and 10, considering what the writer intended and what implications these passages have for the church today. In the process, they discuss some differences between the Lutheran and Reformed traditions, our shared commitment to the gathered assembly of God’s people and the ministry of Word and Sacrament, and the need we all have for the gospel of Christ.
“Just as God makes his gospel—his promise—effective to call his people, so he also makes his warnings effective to his people, to call us away from a place of danger where we might reject Christ.”Nick Brennan
On This Episode:
- Michael Horton is White Horse Inn’s founder and co-host. In addition to serving as a J. Gresham Machen Professor of Systematic Theology and Apologetics at Westminster Seminary California, he is a minister in the United Reformed Churches. He is the author of more than 30 books.
- Justin Holcomb is a Senior Fellow with Sola Media’s Theo Global. He also serves as a professor and Episcopal priest. He is the author or editor of more than 20 books.
- Bob Hiller is the Senior Pastor of Community Lutheran Church in Escondido, California. He is also the author of Finding Christ in the Straw.
- Nick Brennan is Associate Professor of New Testament at Westminster Seminary California and author of Divine Christology in the Epistle to the Hebrews.
Dig Deeper + Check Out This Month’s Offers:
Free download written by Dennis Johnson
Free physical booklet (international requests will receive a PDF download)
Book by panelist Nick Brennan
A production of Sola Media
More from this Series: The Book of Hebrews: Jesus is Better
- An Introduction to the Book of Hebrews Listen Now ›
- Greater Than Angels Listen Now ›
- Greater Than Moses Listen Now ›
- Christ Our Eternal High Priest Listen Now ›
- Were Jews Expecting a Divine Messiah? Listen Now ›
- A Superior Covenant Listen Now ›
- The Eternal Sacrifice Listen Now ›
- Persevering Faith Listen Now ›
- Jesus is Better Listen Now ›
- Jesus, Our Great High Priest Listen Now ›
- Jesus, Our Hope Listen Now ›
- Faithful Endurance Listen Now ›