Jesus, Our Great High Priest
Why would you want to go back to types and shadows when the real thing is here? The author of Hebrews poses this question as he highlights Jesus’s work as our great high priest—a priest who passed not just through an earthly curtain but through a heavenly one, who descends from the line of Melchizedek, who far surpasses the priesthood of the Jerusalem temple. In this episode of White Horse Inn, Michael Horton, Justin Holcomb, Bob Hiller, and Nick Brennan continue their discussion of the book of Hebrews, grounding our confidence in Christ’s work on our behalf, by which we’re able to draw near to God’s throne of grace.
“We have a high priest who hasn’t passed through the curtain on earth to minister for us—who, by the way, has to first sacrifice for his own sins and then for the people. We have a great high priest who totally sympathizes with us, who is in all points like us, yet without sin. He passed through the heavens, that curtain that the earthly curtain was made to look like—that copy—he passed through the actual original. Jesus, the Son of God. Because of that, let’s hold to our confession. Our High Priest happens to be human so he sympathizes with us; and he’s God, so he can save us.”Michael Horton
On This Episode:
- Michael Horton is White Horse Inn’s founder and co-host. In addition to serving as a J. Gresham Machen Professor of Systematic Theology and Apologetics at Westminster Seminary California, he is a minister in the United Reformed Churches. He is the author of more than 30 books.
- Justin Holcomb is a Senior Fellow with Sola Media’s Theo Global. He also serves as a professor and Episcopal priest. He is the author or editor of more than 20 books.
- Bob Hiller is the Senior Pastor of Community Lutheran Church in Escondido, California. He is also the author of Finding Christ in the Straw.
- Nick Brennan is Associate Professor of New Testament at Westminster Seminary California and author of Divine Christology in the Epistle to the Hebrews.
Dig Deeper + Check Out This Month’s Offers:
The Old Testament in the Book of Hebrews
Free download written by Dennis Johnson
The ‘Better’ Is the Best: Essays on the Book of Hebrews
Free physical booklet (international requests will receive a PDF download)
Divine Christology in the Epistle to the Hebrews
Book by panelist Nick Brennan
Subscribe to Modern Reformation
A production of Sola Media
More from this Series: The Book of Hebrews: Jesus is Better
- An Introduction to the Book of Hebrews Listen Now ›
- Greater Than Angels Listen Now ›
- Greater Than Moses Listen Now ›
- Christ Our Eternal High Priest Listen Now ›
- Were Jews Expecting a Divine Messiah? Listen Now ›
- A Superior Covenant Listen Now ›
- The Eternal Sacrifice Listen Now ›
- Persevering Faith Listen Now ›
- Jesus is Better Listen Now ›
- Jesus, Our Great High Priest Listen Now ›
- Jesus, Our Hope Listen Now ›
- Faithful Endurance Listen Now ›