Christ Is Risen Indeed
What kind of sermon did you hear today? In this episode of White Horse Inn, seasoned pastors Eric Landry, Justin Holcomb, and Bob Hiller are joined once again by apologist Doug Powell to discuss the essential elements of an Easter sermon—and describe some of the “misses” you might have experienced. This Easter, they hope you heard a sermon that was historical, preaching good news from outside of you; that was grounded in the Scriptures, showing Christ as the fulfillment of the Old Testament; that was applicable, demonstrating how Christ’s resurrection is for you; and that mirrored Christ’s loving accommodation for skeptics and doubters.
“I’ve often told my congregation that I wish Easter fell either in the dead of winter or in late November, when everything is rotting and the trees are completely barren and empty. . . . Because too often we mistake resurrection for something more springy like renewal, transformation, or turning over a new leaf. We put it into the whole circle of life, cycle of nature kind of idea. But it’s so helpful that the Bible uses such a different word. It’s not renewal. It’s not transformation. It’s not even reformation. It’s resurrection. And that requires a death.”Eric Landry
On This Episode:
- Eric Landry is the Senior Pastor of Redeemer Presbyterian Church in Austin, Texas and Chief Content Officer for Sola Media.
- Justin Holcomb is a Senior Fellow with Sola Media’s Theo Global. He also serves as a professor and Episcopal priest. He is the author or editor of more than 20 books.
- Bob Hiller is the Senior Pastor of Community Lutheran Church in Escondido, California. He is also the author of Finding Christ in the Straw.
- Doug Powell holds an M.A. in Christian Apologetics. In addition to being a best-selling author of more than a dozen books on apologetics, he is a speaker, musician, songwriter, graphic designer, app developer, and a very amateur magician. He has performed on Late Night with Conan O’Brien and has been featured on CNN and NPR. He lives outside Nashville, TN.
Check Out This Month’s Offers:
“But If Christ Is Not Raised . . .”: Why the Resurrection of Christ Matters For You
Free download written by Justin Holcomb
If you’re interested in knowing more about the doctrines that helped launch and give shape to the Protestant Reformation, you’ll want to get our new collection: Reformation Essentials.
Subscribe to Modern Reformation
A production of Sola Media
More from this Series: The Resurrection and the Life
- The Six Minimal Facts Listen Now ›
- Resurrection Objections Listen Now ›
- Christ Is Risen Indeed Listen Now ›
- Life in His Name Listen Now ›