Having established the minimal facts of the resurrection, how do we respond when people suggest alternative theories for explaining the missing body, the empty tomb, and Christ’s post-resurrection appearances? Did Jesus simply faint on the cross? Was his body stolen? Did the women go to the wrong tomb? Did the disciples make up the resurrection story, or did it grow and develop over the years? In this episode of White Horse Inn, Eric Landry, Justin Holcomb, Bob Hiller, and Doug Powell evaluate these common objections and more, helping you prepare for discussions around the table this Easter.
“If what you’re trying to do is suppress this new faith—this belief in Jesus—all you have to do is produce the body and you disprove the resurrection and that faith is dead right there. The displaced body theory means that whoever moved it is in on the very formation of the religious movement they were trying to suppress.”Doug Powell
On This Episode:
- Eric Landry is the Senior Pastor of Redeemer Presbyterian Church in Austin, Texas and Chief Content Officer for Sola Media.
- Justin Holcomb is a Senior Fellow with Sola Media’s Theo Global. He also serves as a professor and Episcopal priest. He is the author or editor of more than 20 books.
- Bob Hiller is the Senior Pastor of Community Lutheran Church in Escondido, California. He is also the author of Finding Christ in the Straw.
- Doug Powell holds an M.A. in Christian Apologetics. In addition to being a best-selling author of more than a dozen books on apologetics, he is a speaker, musician, songwriter, graphic designer, app developer, and a very amateur magician. He has performed on Late Night with Conan O’Brien and has been featured on CNN and NPR. He lives outside Nashville, TN.
Mentioned on the Show:
Holman QuickSource Guide to Christian Apologetics
Book by panelist Doug Powell
THE RESURRECTION OF THE SON OF GOD
Book by N.T. Wright
THE RESURRECTION OF JESUS: A JEWISH PERSPECTIVE
Book by Pinchas Lapide
REASONABLE FAITH: CHRISTIAN TRUTH AND APOLOGETICS
Book by William Lane Craig
Check Out This Month’s Offers:
“But If Christ Is Not Raised . . .”: Why the Resurrection of Christ Matters For You
Free download written by Justin Holcomb
If you’re interested in knowing more about the doctrines that helped launch and give shape to the Protestant Reformation, you’ll want to get our new collection: Reformation Essentials.
Subscribe to Modern Reformation
A production of Sola Media
More from this Series: The Resurrection and the Life
- The Six Minimal Facts Listen Now ›
- Resurrection Objections Listen Now ›
- Christ Is Risen Indeed Listen Now ›
- Life in His Name Listen Now ›