The Six Minimal Facts
“If Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is in vain and your faith is in vain,” writes the apostle Paul (1 Cor. 15:14), situating the resurrection as the central claim of Christianity—the foundation for the entire biblical worldview. But why is it so important? In this episode of White Horse Inn, Eric Landry, Justin Holcomb, Bob Hiller, and Doug Powell discuss Christ’s resurrection as a unique claim among world religions. They also work through “The Minimal Facts” put forward by Gary Habermas, equipping listeners with an agreed-upon baseline for proving the historicity of the resurrection and evaluating objections.
“The resurrection is a unique claim among the scriptures of world religions because it actually points out how to defeat Christianity. If you stated it in a negative way, it’s how to prove Christianity is false. There are a lot of different things that people have attacked about the Christian faith, but there’s only one of them that’s kind of like the nuclear bomb—if you get this one, it all falls down. And Paul points it out in 1 Corinthians 15:12–19. That’s how secure he is in the historical evidence for the resurrection.”Doug Powell
On This Episode:
- Eric Landry is the Senior Pastor of Redeemer Presbyterian Church in Austin, Texas and Chief Content Officer for Sola Media.
- Justin Holcomb is a Senior Fellow with Sola Media’s Theo Global. He also serves as a professor and Episcopal priest. He is the author or editor of more than 20 books.
- Bob Hiller is the Senior Pastor of Community Lutheran Church in Escondido, California. He is also the author of Finding Christ in the Straw.
- Doug Powell holds an M.A. in Christian Apologetics. In addition to being a best-selling author of more than a dozen books on apologetics, he is a speaker, musician, songwriter, graphic designer, app developer, and a very amateur magician. He has performed on Late Night with Conan O’Brien and has been featured on CNN and NPR. He lives outside Nashville, TN.
Mentioned on the Show:
Holman QuickSource Guide to Christian Apologetics
Book by panelist Doug Powell
The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus
Book by Gary R. Habermas and Michael R. Licona
The Gospel and the Greeks
Book by Ronald H. Nash
Check Out This Month’s Offers:
“But If Christ Is Not Raised . . .”: Why the Resurrection of Christ Matters For You
Free download written by Justin Holcomb
If you’re interested in knowing more about the doctrines that helped launch and give shape to the Protestant Reformation, you’ll want to get our new collection: Reformation Essentials.
Subscribe to Modern Reformation
A production of Sola Media
More from this Series: The Resurrection and the Life
- The Six Minimal Facts Listen Now ›
- Resurrection Objections Listen Now ›
- Christ Is Risen Indeed Listen Now ›
- Life in His Name Listen Now ›